We are hiring: Communications and Fundraising Manager
Amani Center for Street Children seeks an energetic Communications and Fundraising Manager who understands the critical relationship-building needed to grow financial support. The perfect-fit candidate will be an ardent writer, a detail-oriented multitasker and an organized doer enthused by the satisfaction of completing a task done well.
- Do you believe opportunity is key to hope for a better future?
- Do you thrive on being wholeheartedly committed to a cause?
- Does your passion shine through as you reach out to inspire new support?
- Do you enjoy writing anything from formal reports to inspiring social media content?
- Do you have the spirit of adventure to move into a new environment?
- Do you realize the challenges of living in the developing world?
- Do you love being around kids?
If your answers are “yes” and your interest is piqued, please continue reading!
Amani Center for Street Children (Also known as Amani Children’s Home)
From humble beginnings 20 years ago, Amani Center for Street Children headquartered in Moshi, Tanzania, has grown to become one of the largest NGOs dealing with street children in East Africa. Today Amani is nationally recognized for their life-changing work as 80 dedicated social workers, educators and caregivers support almost 1000 children in three Tanzanian locations. Amani’s overarching goal is to help children off the streets, into education, and back into their families and communities. Every effort is made to reunite the children with family members and their local communities, while sometimes providing modest financial support for school fees or family support. As part of the work towards family/community reintegration, Amani operates purpose-built facilities where children temporarily live, eat, attend school, and are enabled to thrive. In some cases, Amani also funds vocational training, and for the most talented children, will pay for college or university.
Amani has made effective communications with current and potential donors a priority in expanding our fundraising capacity and maintaining strategic growth. As a result, Amani seeks a hands-on writer and fundraiser with 5 years of successful experience and an awareness of the importance of stewardship. The Communications and Fundraising Manager will work closely with Amani’s Executive Director and tangentially with existing Friends of Amani (legal entities supporting Amani) organizations throughout the world in implementing a strategic plan to grow the organization’s fundraising success while maintaining effective communications with Amani’s cherished donors.
This position is based at Amani headquarters in Moshi, Tanzania. Please visit www.amanikids.org and https://www.facebook.com/amanichildrenshome to learn more about Amani’s work.
Amani’s Expectations for Qualified Candidates
- 5 years of successful fundraising experience with mid-sized non-profits, preferably with exposure to charities working internationally.
- Exposure to and experience with the grant proposal process: grant proposal writing, and grant reports writing.
- Experience with social media outreach, implementation, content writing and follow-up.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and intent on follow-thru.
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills.
- A people person with proven ability to steward effectively with modest to major donors.
- Inspired by Amani’s work and likewise able to wholeheartedly inspire others to support Amani’s goals.
- Mission-driven with a genuine passion for children and youth.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, hands-on, and rapidly changing environment.
- Willingness to live and work at Amani’s base location in Moshi, a mid-sized town in the north of Tanzania, close to Mount Kilimanjaro for at least 2 years.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, majoring and with experience, in a related field of study.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Cultivate, solicit, and steward major donors, foundations, and corporate sponsors in coordination with Amani’s Executive Director and existing Friends of Amani organizations.
Manage Grant Cycles
- Grant proposal writing with oversight and support from Amani’s Executive Director.
- Establish and manage a robust tracking system for meeting reporting requirements in a timely manner for all existing and new grants.
- Grant results report writing – narrative, statistics, and financials.
- Maintain an ongoing overview of key funding gaps and needs.
- Gather and write content for all Amani promotional materials.
- Copywriting and editing for children’s stories.
- Create texts for programmatic information – flyers, brochures, posters, newsletters, etc.
- Write, edit, and coordinate the distribution of Amani’s semi-annual fundraising postal and email appeal campaigns.
- Develop and execute a promotional plan to strengthen Amani’s profile within the Tanzanian and East-African media – press releases and more.
- Manage email communications with Amani supporters world-wide.
- Ensure regular communications with Amani’s support base through newsletters coordinated with FOA-US.
- Expand Amani’s social media reach into more channels with more frequent postings.
- Create impactful content for Amani’s website, keeping it updated with effective messaging and USPs.
- Write meaningful and timely blog posts on a consistent basis.
- Oversee donation acknowledgement communications, ensuring thanks are expressed in a timely manner.
- Coordinate with FOAs to ensure all Amani international fundraising groups are encouraged and have the support needed to be as effective as possible in their fundraising endeavors.
- Help prepare presentation materials for the Amani Executive Director’s international fundraising trips.
- Manage donor relationships by establishing stewardship plans for support groups.
- Assist with welcoming visitors to Amani and ensuring their contact information is shared with appropriate FOAs for targeted outreach.
Amani Offers the Suitable Candidate
- Competitive salary (for East African NGOs) based on qualifications and experience, plus a secondary benefit package.
- A unique opportunity for impact and personal growth, working alongside a top-notch leadership team.
Application Process and Details
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV/Resume in English by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted, and will be requested to present references, diplomas, certificates, testimonials, or additional support documentation. Please do not include this information when applying.
The position will remain open until filled.